Reporting to: Chief Executive
Reports: TBD. As part of the Senior Leadership Team you will be involved in an organisational structural review, which will determine structures, teams and line reports, but the post holder should expect to lead a significant number of people.
Salary: £65,000 - £70,000 (including London Weighting £3,570) per annum pro rata.
Location: London, with some travel within the UK as required.
Requests for home working or to be based in an alternative FOE office location will be considered.
Purpose of the role
The Director of Supporter Experience and Fundraising is a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT). The SLT as a group is responsible for leading and inspiring the Friends of the Earth movement towards its vision of a markedly improved natural environment by 2030 and managing its strategic direction and delivery.
This role will implement all of the identified strategic step changes, but will have lead responsibility and accountability to transform our supporter experience, and so increase the long term loyalty, value and impact of our supporter base.
Closing date: Friday 15th July
Preliminary Interviews: Tuesday 1st August - Friday 26th August
Panel Interviews: Between Monday 5th September - Thursday 15th September
- To develop and lead the strategy for recruiting and developing supporters, by designing high quality supporter journeys.
- To develop and lead the implementation of Friends of the Earth’s cross organisational fundraising strategy ensuring a joined up and ambitious approach.
- Working in close cooperation with fellow directors, particularly the Director of Campaigning Impact and the Director of Communities and Networks, to create a synergy between supporter experience, fundraising, activism, campaigns and communications strategies and activities.
- Deliver a measurable step change in our supporter experience, and so increase the long-term loyalty, value and impact of our supporter base.
- Develop a much better insight and understanding of our supporter base, while maintaining data security.
- Design and implement high quality supporter journeys from awareness to consideration to action and support and finally to advocacy.
- In collaboration with the SLT shape an organisational culture that listens, understands, and champions our current and future supporters, by ensuring supporter experience is communicated, understood and is a strategic and operational priority at every level of the organisation.
- Implement and invest in a programme of continuous improvement of the supporter experience, ensuring there are effective means to analyse and measure improvement.
- Meet and typically exceed agreed targets for delivering outstanding supporter experience.
- Work with the SLT to increase significantly the overlap between people who donate to Friends of the Earth and those who take action.
- Working closely with the Director of Campaigning Impact and the Director of Communities and Networks ensure the value and importance of supporter experience guides and influence all external communications.
- Working closely with the Director of Campaigning Impact and the Director of Communities and Networks increase the number of people on Friends of the Earth’s database of contacts and supporters, maximising the use of the database in engaging people in actions.
- Working closely with the Director of Campaigning Impact and the Director of Communities and Networks conduct audience research and testing, and using the resulting data prior to start of campaigns, and ensuring campaign strategies are based on an understanding of ‘where people are at’.
- Develop and lead the implementation of Friends of the Earth’s cross organisational fundraising strategy ensuring a joined up and ambitious approach, whilst maintaining and growing income.
- Work with the SLT to ensure fundraising strategies are campaign led, ensuring potential supporters that are engaged through campaigns enjoy a positive and evolving supporter experience.
- Optimise the ROI in fundraising.
- Meet and typically exceed agreed targets for securing sustainable income from a range of sources including major donors, corporate, regular giving, trusts and foundations.
- Identify new and different streams of funding and prepare business plans to pursue these opportunities.
- Manage and report on fundraising and supporter experience performance against budget and the effectiveness of key initiatives.
- Ensure liaison with peers and experts in and outside of the sector to acquire and share best practice and thinking.
- Take personal responsibility for developing and maintaining key strategic fundraising relationships and activities including relationships with major donors in order to deepen their engagement and giving.
- Ensure all formal reporting and regulatory requirements are met.
+ Leadership Behaviours and Expectations
- Be an inspirational and visionary leader for Friends of the Earth, with the drive to inspire us to achieve lasting, measurable impact in support of our mission and five step changes.
- Working horizontally with SLT colleagues proposing and leading projects, establishing clear mandates, parameters, project teams and resources, ensuring distribution of responsibility and decision making authority.
- Fostering a culture of shared ambition, distributed leadership, effective delivery, collaboration, flexibility, solutions, mutual respect and co-creation.
- Leading in identifying and developing effective solutions to internal challenges.
- With the CEO, SLT colleagues, and the Boards when appropriate, develop and review Friends of the Earth’s strategic direction; ensuring alignment and integration between objectives, strategies and plans.
Ways of working and engaging
- Working horizontally, diagonally and vertically across the organisation to maximise impact, ensuring that staff processes are collaborative, foster innovation and avoid silos.
- Building relationships, sharing expertise and perspectives across the wider Friends of the Earth family, local to global, global to local.
- Supporting and participating in developing an effective knowledge management culture and systems.
- Sharing learning, promoting a culture of open reflection, experimentation and innovation, and supporting the application of tools and processes for these purposes.
- Champion digital first transformation up and down the organisation (including participation in key initiatives).
- Build and maintain proactive, supportive and effective communication and relationships with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team colleagues.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with, and report to, the Board of Friends of the Earth Trust or Board of Friends of the Earth Limited as appropriate.
- Ensure effective communication and coordination between own teams and the Friends of the Earth network.
- Engaging with passion, conviction and clarity on behalf of Friends of the Earth
- Substantial experience of designing and delivering innovative and impactful supporter journeys.
- Proven experience of leading successful donor strategies that engender a sense of belonging.
- Track record in growing income from individual donors, frequently meeting or surpassing targets.
- Knowledge or experience of other income streams e.g. legacies, major donors, trusts and foundations.
- Experience of designing and implementing effective monitoring and analysis of supporter journey and fundraising data and performance.
- Knowledge and experience of wide ranging and up to date fundraising and supporter journey strategies and techniques.
- Knowledge and experience of coordinating supporter journeys and fundraising campaigns targeted towards multiple individuals and groups.
- Experience of developing organisational supporter journey and fundraising material.
- Experience of diversifying fundraising strategies.
- Experience of developing effective digital tools for fundraising campaigns and supporter engagement.
- Excellent project management skills, including experience of matrix working and managing/prioritising projects/issues across teams.
- Thorough understanding of tax and legal issues affecting fundraising and of the current fundraising regulatory environment and its implications.
- High-level facilitation skills, able to harness the creativity and diversity of a group of people.
- Excellent advocacy and influencing skills to win hearts and minds to support a cause.
- A proven strategic, creative and flexible leader, able to identify and implement new ways of working, seize unexpected opportunities, and encourage and develop these skills in others.
- Demonstrable experience of overseeing the development and implementation of strategic plans and organisational change processes.
- Demonstrable ability to assimilate and analyse information quickly and accurately, formulate decisions that are timely and take account of risks and benefits and thereby develop innovative solutions to problems.
- Strong experience of building and leading cohesive and effective teams and leading them through significant change.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, negotiation and communication skills; able to motivate and inspire both verbally and in writing.
- A collaborative approach and understanding of working in a consultative environment.
- A demonstrable commitment to improving organisational effectiveness and impact.
- An understanding of the strategic use of digital together with experience in the use of social media.
- Demonstrable commitment to the vision and values of Friends of the Earth.
- Ability to frequently travel in the UK on a planned basis, and to travel outside of the UK occasionally, as well as working outside of office hours occasionally to meet the demands of the role.
- Institute of Fundraising membership or qualification in Fundraising.
- Hands on experience of fundraising and supporter engagement campaigns including digital and local on the ground activities.
- Knowledge of charity law and regulations.
- Knowledge of data protection law and regulations.
- Experience of working in a campaigning organisation, understanding the dynamics of rapidly changing policy environments.
- Knowledge of organisational development theory and practice.
- Understanding of effective knowledge systems.